Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My biggest Rival, Michelle Villalobos

First off - Are you registered for the Empowered Women Success Summit on Nov 11&12? The keynote speech is called "Badass is a State of Mind" Register HERE.



Here's a blog Michelle Villalobos just wrote...it inspired me to shoot that video.

These are pictures of me with founder of badassbusinesswomen.org, Jessica Kizorek. Jessica is a keynote speaker, a consultant and a marketing strategist, among other things. In other words, she’s my competition – or at least most people would THINK she is.

Actually, we’ve been working together a lot – she was the keynote speaker at my Empowered Woman Success Summit in June, and will be again this November (http://www.EmpoweredWoman.info). We also created two amazing workshops: Strut 1.0 and Strut 2.0, and now I’m contributing to her upcoming book “The Official Guide to Being A Badass Business Woman.”

Today at my Mastermind session, when I was talking her up to the group, one of my members observed: “Isn’t she your competition?” Well, kinda sorta but not really.

Once you define your brand well enough, and once your voice is unique enough, competition doesn’t exist. People either want to work with YOU or they want to work with WHOMEVER.

In this case, my leads have only increased as my relationship with Jess has grown. We make such a splash together, that more people are hearing about each of us now than ever.

Not only do I love working with Jessica (I suspect she feels the same way – ’cause she tells me so), but this is a strategic alliance in which each of us brings our strengths to the table.

Jessica with her work ethic, execution-oriented approach and varied, vetted support network of freelancers. And me with my wide and varied audience, corporate contacts and a large Summit (which we think we’ve determined is THE largest all-women business event in Miami – confirmation on that coming soon) that she speaks at as my keynote speaker – thus growing her own network.

Do you have a “rival” that has access to things you don’t? Do you have strengths that she doesn’t? Rather than lament it or feel envy, think about how you could support create opportunities for each other. In other words, find your biggest competitor whose integrity you trust (this is a big piece), and seek her out. Figure out what you can create together!

Let me know how it goes…

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Love that great sinergy can bring about amazing results with trusted partners aiming at the same goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I don't believe there is such a thing as competition either when it comes to professional services. Some people prefer vanilla, and that can't be a threat to chocolate. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete